Anong Thai Cuisine – Chicago
Spicy Shrimp Pad Thai
Summary: You will find yourself in noodle heaven after just one bite of this shrimp Pad Thai. Shrimp are combined with tofu, garlic, green onions, noodles, peanuts and more, to produce this fantastic and traditional Thai food classic.
- 2 cups beansprouts
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 12 oz extra-firm tofu, in ½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 8 oz flat Thai rice noodles
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup turbinado or raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce
- ½ cup chopped, roasted salted peanuts
- 1 lb butterflied, unpeeled large shrimp
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 6 radishes, in thin strips
- 4 green onions, halved lengthwise and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 thinly sliced jalapenos
- Soak the noodles in warm water for 10 minutes or until they are soft enough to separate.
- Combine the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and chili sauce.
- When the noodles are soft, drain them.
- Heat a large skillet over a high heat, then add the oil and sauté the shrimp for a couple minutes or until pink.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet but leave the oil in there.
- Add the tofu and garlic to the skillet and stir-fry until golden.
- Add the noodles as well as ¼ cup of the fish sauce mixture.
- Stir-fry for 3 minutes, until the noodles soak up the sauce.
- If the noodles seem dry you can add a few tablespoons of water.
- Add the green onions, radishes and ¼ cup of the peanuts, and toss well.
- Stir in the rest of the fish sauce mixture.
- Adjust the seasoning, adding more fish sauce, lime juice or water if necessary.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and heat them through.
- Serve the Pad Thai garnished with jalapenos, bean sprouts and the rest of the peanuts.
- Serve lime wedges on the side.
Preparation time: PT20M Cooking time: PT12M
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Thai